Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tuesday Tutorial {on Thursday}: Ruffle Headband

Last Sunday I guest posted over at Corduroy Dreams and today I'm bringing the tutorial to you! This headband is great for girls of any age. I made this one for Big E but I'm going to make one for myself too! All you need is one scrap of fabric cut to 2x7", one scrap of knit cut to 1.5x7", some scrap felt (you'll see that later) and a piece of elastic 7" long (you'll cut the excess - don't pay attention to my small piece of elastic in the picture, it was too small).


The first thing you'll do is sew a zig-zag stitch all the way around your largest piece of fabric. This will help it not to fray as bad.

The next step is to lay the knit on top of the fabric and then flip it over and pin the elastic starting about 1/4" from the edge of the fabric on the back side.

This is the tricky part! You have to sew a zig-zag seam down the elastic while pulling it at the same time. This is what makes the ruffle. Take your time and go slow. You can do it!

Cut off the excess elastic.

I decided to turn under the edges about 1/2" and sew a straight seam. You don't have to do this step if you don't want to. I just felt like the ruffle might be a little long otherwise.

The finished ruffle! It turns under itself but that's okay, it'll flatten out when we glue it on.

Cut two identical pieces of felt to cover up the elastic. Hot glue that over the elastic.

Put the headband on and visualize where you'd like the headband. Take it back off and hot glue the headband to the felt.

The last step is to hot glue the second piece of felt on to cover the headband.

All done! Super cute headband for your little girl (I might have to steal this too!).


If you make one, let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the blog! I love comments and I love even more to write back to your comments so be sure to leave your email address!