Thursday, April 5, 2012

inspired {books}

The kids and I had some fun at Barnes & Noble the other day. Momma gets coffee and the kids get to browse books & Little E gets to play at the train table. It's a win-win for all of us (when the kids aren't rowdy). I got to peruse the books and found some that I just had to have!

Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes
I'm really excited about this book. I consider myself to be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to creating...which is why I don't draw or paint often, because I WANT to do that type of creating, but I'm not great at it so I just don't do it. This book is perfect for getting me out of my perfectionistic slump in regard to creating things. The first page is a warning: Do not try to make something beautiful. There are assignments for each page like soaking the page with water and trying to write on it with ink. Another is "smear something here with your hands purely for the tactile sensation." I can't wait to get started!

Doodles: A Really Giant Coloring and Doodling Book
I purchased this book because my best friend Chrissy had two doodle books last year that she did with her daughter and we got to see them when we went to visit. I originally wanted a doodling book for me to do, of flowers and swirls and things to draw with fine tipped pens. We headed over to Barnes & Noble and saw this book and knew I had to have it to do with Big E. It arrived yesterday and we did our first doodle together last night (pictured left). The assignment was to finish the brick wall. E had a ton of fun (and, who am I kidding? I did too!!). She said "I LOVE this book" and the first thing she wanted to do after breakfast was work on her doodle book.

Found, Free and Flea: Creating Collections from Vintage Treasures
This, by far, is my new favorite book. Since redecorating our downstairs in antique/country/shabby decor, I'm now fascinated even more with going to flea markets and finding old treasures that have been forgotten. The book tells the story of a couple who purchased an old family summer camp. As they went through five years of renovating the property they found amazing treasures hidden there. The most amazing story of what they found on the property was a huge shelving unit of vintage Fiestaware that was paneled over. Can you just imagine tearing down paneling and finding shelves and shelves of bright colored Fiestaware? I would be in heaven! This book is igniting a dream within me that I'll share more about later.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing...stay motivated. I love to illustrate all of my own creations, in a scrapbook type book, sometimes with drawings, sometimes with photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the blog! I love comments and I love even more to write back to your comments so be sure to leave your email address!