Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tuesday Tutorial: Valentine Heart Wreath


I've never been one to decorate for holidays (except Christmas) but in the past year I've really loved making wreaths so I decided to make a heart Valentine wreath for my front door. Today I'm going to show you how to make your own as well! I got all of my materials from Hobby Lobby and it was $10 for supplies, which made two wreaths.

You'll need:
- wire heart wreath form
- thick yarn (or ribbon)
- ruffle trim (2yd)
- hot glue gun
- scissors
- cardboard (for wreath #2)
Start off by tying a long strand of yarn to the bottom of your wreath form.
I used about a 5 foot piece, any longer and it'll be hard to wrap.
Simply weave it in and out of the inner two wires of the form.
Push the yarn together making it a solid color, hiding the wire.
When you need more yarn, just knot it together until you get to the end.
This took me a little over an hour, so put in Bride Wars &
enjoy a quiet naptime (oh wait, that's what I did)!

The bottom of the heart will be left open, so just take a scrap piece
of yarn and fill it in by wrapping it around the wire and knotting it.

The ruffle trim is perfect for the outside edge.
Simply open it up and add a line of hot glue.
Don't do too long of a line, about 1-2" at a time.
Press it around the outside of the wreath form,
squeezing the two edges together.

You'll see in the top left picture how the front ends.
Turn the wreath over (top right picture) and tuck in the end of the trim.
Fold it over and hot glue it to the back.
Use a few scraps of yarn to create a handle.

vinyl from Uppercase Living
I had enough trim and yarn left to make a second wreath,
so I decided to use some cardboard to create #2.
You can free-hand a heart, or do like I did and use your Cricut Expression
(or Silhouette) to cut out a 9" heart. I then measured 1" along all edges
and cut out the inside. It doesn't have to be perfect, it'll be covered with the yarn.
Knot the end of your yarn and using your hot glue gun, glue the end of the yarn to
the back of the heart. Then wrap, wrap, wrap around the heart, gluing every few
inches. If you see the cardboard through it, simply double up on the wrapping of the yarn.
This wreath takes less than 1/2 hour to make, so it's definitely the easier of the two.
For the points of the heart, glue and wrap until you can get it covered.

Hot glue the trim around the yarn-wrapped edge.
When you get to the end, simply wrap the edge of the trim
over and hot glue, making a clean edge.

Use another short piece of yarn and hot glue it (be generous with the glue)
to the back side. Since this is cardboard based, it'll be a wreath that I'll only
use for this year because of the moisture that will get in the cardboard.
I know I'll be making a new wreath next year anyway so that's fine by me!

Happy crafting! If you have any valentine crafts, feel free to leave them in a comment!

4 comments:

  1. So cute and simple! I love "mindless" crafts that keep the munchies away! If I make and post to my blog, I will be sure to include a trackback to you in my post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Im definately gonna do this! Thank you😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only picture the wreath bc the images in your tutorial were blank…. Ughhh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the blog! I love comments and I love even more to write back to your comments so be sure to leave your email address!