Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tuesday Tutorial: Camera Strap


Friday I went to a local fabric store and found an Amy Butler fabric that I love. It's part of the Lotus collection. I wasn't sure what exactly I would make out of it, but decided on a camera strap for my Canon digital SLR. I've looked at two tutorials for camera straps, but decided to just wing it for making my own. I like to see if I can figure things out by myself.

My camera strap is 1 5/8" by 23 3/8" (rounded up to 23 1/2"). I cut my fabric to 4 1/4" by 24 1/2" (I actually cut it to 23 5/8 because I mixed up my measurements, but 24.5" is what I should have done).


Step 1: Cut a piece of fabric for the ruffle. Mine was 1.5" by 40.5". Sew a 1/4" seam on each long edge. Hand stitch a very long straight stitch along the center of the ruffle fabric. Pull on the loose string to make a ruffle the same length of your patterned fabric for the strap.

Step 2: Straighten out the ruffle and pin down onto the patterned fabric.

Step 3: Sew down the ruffle, overlapping where it looks nice to secure the ruffle.

Step 4: Sew a 1/2" seam on each short edge of the patterned fabric.


Step 5: Sew a 1/4" seam on the long edge of the patterned fabric.

Step 6: Turn it right side out and press the edges, being careful not to mess up the ruffle. Put it on your camera strap and you're all done! One of the other tutorials I read used interfacing, but I don't think it's necessary. It's just a personal preference. Please share photos if you make one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the blog! I love comments and I love even more to write back to your comments so be sure to leave your email address!